When You Know, You Know...

University isn't for everyone and that's okay. I know quite a few people who have moved away to university and absolutely hated it, resulting in them deciding to drop out. I think there's this stigma surrounding the idea of dropping out of higher education and moving back home. Which is silly really. If someone isn't happy then why should they feel like they have to carry on? 

I will admit, I was one of those people who would sit and wonder why anyone would even consider dropping out. Leaving it all behind after taking the time and effort to get yourself there...all for nothing. But within my first two weeks of university I understood first hand what must go through the minds of others. I hated the course I was on and so found myself in a similar situation and had to make a decision about what to do next. I'd already made my mind up though. It had only been about a week into the year but I could just feel that I was on was not the right course and I needed to change or the next 3 years would have been hell. With discussion back and forth between myself and my tutors and forms being passed around the department for different people to sign, It was sorted in no time. I'd officially moved. No mater what anyone said to me I wasn't going to be changing my mind anytime soon. I can honestly say I have no regrets about switching courses. I guess what I felt is pretty similar to what someone would think when deciding to leave university completely. When you know, you know! 
If you find yourself having seconds thoughts about your course then I suggest going to see your tutors or department heads. Sure, they can be pretty intimidating but after all they're the ones who will be able to give you the best advice about what to do next. 

This might just be my university but I've noticed that everyone here is SUPER nice. Everyone I've spoken to (whilst drunk and sober) has been sooo friendly and approachable. Not one point have I ever felt that I couldn't approach someone and talk to them. Whether it's in the campus library or in the student union. Everyone here is so open and accepting. I think it's because there are so many different personalities here, along with individual styles and people from different backgrounds, it's kind of hard not to be open. You'd probably find yourself living a very lonely life if you weren't. 
I was told university would feel like being part of a small community and now i can definitely say this is true. My university is completely camps based and so I think that helps with the whole 'community feeling'. We have a bar and a takeaway, a laundrette and cafes. Along with the little student villages dotted around the campus, it really does feel like a small town. 

In my experience I'm glad I was able to find an alternative course to fit what I wanted to do better. I'm also lucky I had understanding parents and tutors that let me make my own mind up and not try to force me into anything that wasn't right. I can't speak for every university out there and say it'll be as easy as handing in a piece of paper. But what I can say is the decision is yours. Don't be forced into anything for the sake of pleasing others. 
When you know, you know!

James!







James France

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment