A Tiny Bit Marvellous...(A review)

Wednesdays are going to be my 'review something' days. But I must say that I'm not a pro. I probably won't go into too much detail, just what I liked about 'the thing' along with what I didn't (If there is anything that is)

Dawn French is, in my eyes a genius! In acting, writing and just about everything else she tries hr hand at. Basically a genius at life. She's genuine and I think that's what I, along with soooo many others out there love about her. And she's written a book. More than one book actually. She's written quite a few. I'm going to focus on her debut novel, which happens to be my favourite book. Not just by Dawn French...But my favourite book ever. I'll explain why below...

A Tiny Bit Marvellous was first published in 2011. I picked it up from my local newsagents expecting it to be just another book I wouldn't read. I find myself buying books upon books just to fill up my shelves. This one was different though. Before adding it to the unread collection in my room I decided to give the first page a quick skim. And then the next...and the next!! Yup, it got me. It sucked me right in. It had me laughing out loud and even pausing for a few moments as I composed myself either with shock or just utter sadness. This book really has everything. 
Dawns debut is a quirky little story about an average (Debatable) family from a little town in England. Head of the house and also the main voice of the book is Mo! Mo is a true representation of a mother (I'm not a mother obvs! But I do have one, so I know a thing or two) She's relatable and down to earth, funny and just trying to get by in a house with two teenagers! The classic daughter, Dora who throws a tantrum at the drop of a hat is applying for university and testing Mo's patience at on almost every page. There's also a son. The ever entertaining, if not slightly over the top, Oscar. In my head was like a 1983 Boy George (Probably different for every reader, but that's how I pictured him) He's eccentric. VERY eccentric in fact! And is just trying to figure life out for himself. Also trying his best to avoid the 'Unlovely wretches' that are his family.
The thing I love most about this book is that it's not split into your usual chapters. Every so many pages we get the story from the point of view of either Mo, Dora or Oscar (and one 6 page section from Dad) Each character has their own VERY distinct voice, which is amusing as half way through I found myself adding facial expressions along with each character as I read them (Yes, the characters are that well written you physically become them...) 

The loveable characters, who are also scarily relatable in some way or another, along with the simple but complex story line (Which also features a twist!) is what makes this book a page turner. It took me about 5 days to get through it the first time and I've always had it to hand since. 
It's very clear to see why this book became a number 1 best seller. 

James 






James France

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment